- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
I was working in finance.
- What made you want to start learning to code in the first place?
I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and just had become aware of the booming tech scene all around the world. Coding seemed like a rewarding skill, a fun challenge with a lot of job prospects and workplaces that matched my personality.
- How did you come across Makers Academy and what made you decide to apply?
I did my research and decided that Makers Academy were the best. I figured if I was going to take the risk of quitting my job and make the commitment of learning to code, it had to be with the best.
- What did you find difficult during the course?
Having no prior experience coding, I found keeping up with the rapid learning of new technologies a bit overwhelming at times.
- What happened during/after graduation and where are you job-wise?
I got to focus on the areas of coding I enjoyed the most. I moved back to Ireland and began looking for jobs there. Now I'm working as a front end developer.
- How has your life changed since graduation?
I feel like I'm in the right place. My work is more fulfilling and I'm enjoying the challenge of improving my coding skills every day.
- What advice would you give to people thinking of changing career?
If you've tried coding, enjoyed it and could see yourself working in this industry, then I would absolutely recommend making the change.
- What do you say to people who say £8000 is expensive?
It's very expensive, but in 10 years you wont miss that £8000.
- What as your biggest worry before joining Makers Academy and how do you feel about it now?
That I'd fail, and after having spent all that money I would just have to go back to my previous job. Now I can't justify the decision to make this change enough.
- Sum up your Makers Academy experience
Excellent. I met a lot of great people, made a bunch of friends, had a lot of fun and learned a skill that changed my life for the better.