- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
I was a management consultant.
- What made you want to start learning to code in the first place?
I wanted to set up my own business and I wanted to be able to build my own ideas and prototypes.
- How did you come across Makers Academy and what made you decide to apply to the programming course?
I found out through friends and people who did the course before and applied based on their recommendations.
- What did you find difficult during the course?
What I found difficult is knowing what your level is when you finish the course and how you measure up against other junior developers from other backgrounds.
- What happened during/after graduation and where are you job-wise?
After graduation I was applying for jobs whilst being an alumni helper and doing some freelance work, and then I got a Junior Developer role at Product Health.
- How has your life changed since graduation?
I've got a new job and I'm doing more stuff that I'll ultimately like.
- What advice would you give to people thinking of changing career?
Have a very specific target in mind and by that I mean understand that you really know what you are getting into. Think it through and think about why you are doing it, not just because coding is fashionable. Also build and budget for more than 3 months!
- What would you say to people who say £8,000 is very expensive?
It is expensive depending on what you want to do. If I wanted to start my own thing today it would cost me at least £10k and I wouldn't understand the technologies, and I'd also have to bring in a technical co-founder, but joining Makers Academy is cheaper for my startup and I'm more informed. You now pay so much money to go to university so the relative cost is minimal and you get the careers service support too.
- What was your biggest worry before joining Makers Academy and how do you feel about it now?
It was if you'd ever get to a credible level of coding that you would even be able to build apps and I now feel cautiously optimistic.
- Sum up your Makers Academy experience
Positive but there have been points of frustrations and ups and downs but on a personal level it's been great