- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
Before Makers Academy I did a Masters of Mechanical (Aeronautical) Engineering degree at Durham University.
- What made you want to start learning to code in the first place?
The experiences at university, a need for a challenge and wanting to see immediate result of my work led me to learn to code.
- How did you come across Makers Academy and what made you decide to apply to the programming course?
I came across Makers Academy at Silicon Milkroundabout, I had a chat with companies hiring there and they said that Makers Academy was a good start.
- What did you find difficult during the course?
I applied to and was hired by Red Badger.
- What happened during/after graduation and where are you job-wise?
I have a job that I enjoy, that provides me with a challenge every day, surrounded by intelligent people. It's great.
- How has your life changed since graduation?
Make sure you are ready to struggle and are up for the fight.
- What would you say to people who say £8,000 is very expensive?
How much is a years' worth of university tuition?
- What was your biggest worry before joining Makers Academy and how do you feel about it now?
That I would end up working for a company that I didn't like on a project I didn't care about. I work for a consultancy that cares about everything they do. It's more a culture that is important than that who you are working for at Red Badger.
- What advice would you give to people interviewing for developer roles?
Make sure you have similar ideals to the company, that you fit their culture. Otherwise you will find it difficult to enjoy it there.