- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
My background is in client management and analyst roles. Just before Makers, I was working as a Project Management intern for a startup and as a Project Coordinator in a Charity.
- What made you want to start learning to code in the first place?
It is always useful to know how to code, it is the future.
- How did you come across Makers Academy and what made you decide to apply to the programming course?
Googling. I wanted a change and Makers was the solution to being able to make it fast.
- What did you find difficult during the course?
The intensity. Every week we were leaving behind something to learn something else.
- What happened during/after graduation and where are you job-wise?
Just after the graduation, my brain was on strike for two weeks. After that I kept studying on my own while I was searching for a job. For the first few weeks the job market was very quiet but suddenly it woke up and lots of opportunities came up. I am working now as a Web Application Developer.
- How has life changed since graduation?
I am constantly challenged and I learn new things everyday.
- What advice would you give to people thinking of changing career?
Do it! If you don't take a risk you will regret it all your life and if it goes wrong, at least you tried.
- What was your biggest worry before joining Makers Academy and how do you feel about it now?
I had two worries - one was that I could not be 100% sure I was going to love coding as a profession, and if I would be able to cope with the intensity (energy wise, as I have a B12 deficiency when I joined). After the course I can say I love coding and being able to create things. I took care of myself during the course and I could cope with my energy, in fact my B12 was perfect after the course.
- Sum up your Makers Academy experience
Intense but worth it.
- What advice would you give to people interviewing for developer roles?
Relax and be yourself.