- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
I was a bar manager.
- What made you want to start learning to code in the first place?
I wanted a change of career and I did some coding in the past and knew I enjoyed it.
- How did you come across Makers Academy and what made you decide to apply?
I originally became aware of coding bootcamps due to a tube campaign by a competitor but I decided to join Makers Academy as I thought the culture and atmosphere seemed more appealing.
- What happened during/after graduation and where are you job-wise?
I became an Alumni helper for 6 weeks and most of my job applications were via Makers Academy and then I accepted a job at Government Digital Service even though I had an offer from elsewhere too!
- How has your life changed since graduation?
I don't work nights anymore!
- What advice would you give to people thinking of changing career?
Do it! If you have the passion and drive then do it. Don't let fear stop you from doing it. If you don't try it you will never know.
- What do you say to people who say £8000 is expensive?
It is a lot of money but it is worth it. Doing the course for me was about changing my career and for me the long term benefits will massively outweigh the short term financial loss and there are many ways to fund your way.
- What as your biggest worry before joining Makers Academy and how do you feel about it now?
I was fearful that I wouldn't be able to do it or get a job but the position I was in meant that I was not progressing. It was either stay in my career and be unhappy or take a risk and change. I have a job now so that validates me doing it!
- Sum up your Makers Academy experience
It was tiring but very enjoyable and exceeded my expectations.