- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
I was a supervisor in a coffee shop/restaurant
- What made you want to start learning to code in the first place?
I've always been very passionate about technology and I needed a change in my life.
- How did you come across Makers Academy and what made you decide to apply to the programming course?
My uncle who lives in London is a graphic designer interviewed a girl from Makers Academy last year and he was really impressed. I told him I was thinking about studying Computer Science and he told me about Makers Academy.
- What did you find difficult during the course?
Everything. It's really hard to keep up with the course but at the same time I had a wonderful time, I've met incredible people and I would do it again and again.
- What happened during/after graduation and where are you job-wise?
After graduation I kept coding everyday. I went over all my projects on Github and studied technologies that we didn't touch during the course. I did a few technical tests and at the beginning of March I got an offer for a front-end role at Legal and General.
- How has your life changed since graduation?
I've got a great job so I'm really happy and I moved to Brighton which is beautiful. A great change from being a Waitress to becoming a Developer in less than a year.
- What advice would you give to people thinking of changing career?
Do it! Don't think twice.
- What would you say to people who say £8,000 is very expensive?
It is expensive but you need to invest in yourself to achieve what you really want.
- What was your biggest worry before joining Makers Academy and how do you feel about it now?
My biggest worry was I would not be good enough to learn to code in 12 week and that I will not find a job after the course. I however did it even if it was hard, it wasn't impossible. I found a great job so I'm very happy and i feel accomplished.
- Sum up your Makers Academy experience
Challenging and frustrating, spending 11-12 hours per day coding, but at the same time a great experience. I had a lot of fun and met incredible people. It's something that will stay with me forever.