- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
I worked in online advertising.
- What made you want to start learning to code in the first place?
I love puzzles and the satisfaction that you get from solving them and I figured coding was a bit like that as a job.
- How did you come across Makers Academy and what made you decide to apply?
My dad saw an article about coding bootcamps in America and I decided I wanted to do it and researched British ones. Makers Academy seemed like the best one with the best course, reputation and hiring partners.
- What did you find difficult during the course?
I found the PreCourse difficult because I was juggling it with my existing job. On the course, I found a lot difficult but in particular it was understanding the good coding principles earlier on in the course.
- What happened during/after graduation and where are you job-wise?
I job hunted for about about 2 months while coding away and eventually got a job!
- How has your life changed since graduation?
I now have a strong new interest in life which is coding and I am very excited by my job and I'm doing what I want to do as supposed to what is available.
- What advice would you give to people thinking of changing career?
Make sure you like coding! Do online courses before taking the plunge and make sure you have the financial security blanket to job hunt for several months incase it takes you a while to get your first job.
- What do you say to people who say £8000 is expensive?
It's not cheap but you get what you pay for. You get really good tuition, supportive coaches, a great atmosphere that you can come back to but most importantly I got my job through the hiring partner.
- What as your biggest worry before joining Makers Academy and how do you feel about it now?
My biggest fear was that I would flunk the course and not be able to code in the end. I now feel that would have never happened and the selection process means you won't get on the course unless you can do it!
- Sum up your Makers Academy experience
Fun, mind expanding and ultimately successful.