- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
- What made you want to start learning to code in the first place?
Doing something I loved as a job. I wanted to have a positive impact on the world.
- How did you come across Makers Academy and what made you decide to apply?
I was told from my brother about bootcamps, then did some research on them in the London area. Makers offered the best opportunities, and they were confident in getting their students jobs.
- What did you find difficult during the course?
Finding a way to explain things. Sometimes you think you understand things. Sometimes you don't get them right away. Communicating my ideas, and being an efficient communicator was the hardest challenge for me.
- What happened during/after graduation and where are you job-wise?
After graduation I slept the whole weekend! I contacted a few companies outside of the Makers network, but the best opportunities came from Makers team's network. I am glad they had my back. I work at Farm Digital now & it took about a month after graduation to receive my job offer there.
- How has your life changed since graduation?
I still have a lot of change to come, like moving and a new career. I am now more confident because I know I can code, approach problems, and overall I'm just happy with the direction my life is going.
- What advice would you give to people thinking of changing career?
Make sure its really what you want, then give it your all. Once you start, you really need to work and be aware that it will be worth it. Don't expect to be handed a job by doing nothing. Work hard and plan for it.
- What do you say to people who say £8000 is expensive?
It is a lot of money. Its hard to put a price on an opportunity and the ability to change your career. To me it was well worth it.
- What was your biggest worry before joining Makers Academy and how do you feel about it now?
I was confident, but there was a fear of not getting a job, and not being able to manage emotions. You just need to be patient when job hunting.
- Sum up your Makers Academy experience
Makers was great because I could work everyday with other people who were very driven and had the same goals that I had. It helped me focus, work hard, and learn as much as I could.