- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
I was working as a recruiter till last August.
- What made you want to start learning to code in the first place?
I wasn't enjoying my job but because I was recruiting for the tech industry it got me interested in the the jobs I was recruiting for which led me to coding.
- What did you find difficult during the course?
It was hard to be motivated on my own during the pre-course. Testing was also a weird concept to get my headaround initially.
- Where are you now working?
I am working at FarmDigital. I grew up 45 minutes outside of Manchester. I moved to London just for the course but moving back and getting a job near home has been great.
- How has your life changed since graduation?
It took me 3 months to find a jobs after Makers Academy. I now go to work and do a job I enjoy. I didn't believe much in my last job. I've also increased my by salary by 25%.
- What advice would you give to people thinking of changing career?
Make sure you do your research before hand and make sure you understand what the tech industry is. Go into the course knowing what you'll get out of it. Start coding before you start the course as it will click more quickly when things gets explained.
- What do you say to people who say £8000 is expensive?
I did one year of uni straight out of college. When I got to 22 years old I decided to re-eveluate my current career path. £50,000 Vs £8,000 felt like a no brainer to me.
- What was your biggest worry before joining Makers Academy and how do you feel about it now?
My biggest fear was that I wouldn't be able to do it and that I wouldn't be able to grasp the concepts and get demotivated but it didn't happen. It helped being in the Makers environment as everyone else was in the same state of mind.
- Sum up your Makers Academy experience
It completely changed the direction I was going in for the expense of 6 months of very hard work.