- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
I was working as an account manager in the Pharmaceutical industry
- How did you come across Makers Academy and what made you decide to apply?
It was recommended to me by friends because I wanted to start my own company. I wanted the skills to do more and really enjoyed coding so I decided to become developer.
- What did you find difficult on the course?
I found avoiding the imposter syndrome difficult. I always found I compare myself to other people who are brilliant on the course. Once you get over that and stop comparing yourself you become a better coder.
- What was your end of cohort project?
We created a search engine using Elixir.
- How has your life changed since learning to code?
My life changed for the better. I'm more active and I enjoy learning and reading more about code. I enjoy what I do. I have a more positive outlook to life.
- What advice would you give to people thinking of changing career?
If you are not happy with your current position then you should take the risk and go for it because it's definitely worth it.
- What do you say to people who say £8000 is expensive?
It's actually not that not compared to what you get back. It's an investment. Makers Academy changes your life in just 4 months, giving you a lifelong skill and brand new career. If you look at it from that point of view - £8000 is a drop in the ocean.
- What was your biggest fear before joining MA and how do you feel about it now?
Not knowing if I would enjoy coding or be good at it. Or if I would be able to get a job. The fear of not being able to get a job was there and I ended up getting a job within a week after graduation.
- Sum up your Makers Academy experience
Fun. Friendships and full of learning and pushing myself beyond my limits.