- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
I was working as software tester/QA. The compnay I worked at offered me the opportunity to learn to be a junior developer there but I turned it down as I wanted to come to Makers Academy so I could learn to do things properly. They didn't do things like TDD.
- How did you come across Makers Academy and what made you decide to apply?
I came across Makers Academy by simply googling. I compared Makers to GA and Makers Academy came across better. I came along to Makers Academy taster day .
- What did you find difficult during the course?
I struggled with working in teams at the start. As everyone is a beginner it's a tricky group dynamic you have to try not to be overbearing or criticise people.
- What was your end of cohort project?
HappyBelly - An app that allows you to scan the barcode of food to check the product for allergens.
- Where are you now working?
Magnetic North - I was born in Manchester, my parents are from Yorkshire. Moving to Manchester is exciting in itself. It has a growing tech scene. I've excited to be involved in the tech scene from the start.
- How has your life changed since graduation?
I've been continuing to learn. I've been involved in the coding community and it's been great to be involved.
- What advice would you give to people thinking of changing career?
- What do you say to people who say £8000 is expensive?
It is expensive but it's allowed me to moving into the tech sector. I expect to see that money back in increased salary and job satisfaction over the next year.
- What as your biggest fear before joining Makers and how do you feel about it now?
There was a fear of could I do it? I always backed myself that I could. The reviews you see are so good that you sometimes wonder is it to good to be true? I have no regret about spending that money on Makers Academy. One of the best decisions I've made.
- Sum up your Makers Academy experience
One of the best decisions I've made.