- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
I was at the University of York where I studied Environmental Geography.
- What made you want to start learning to code in the first place?
I was playing around in Codecademy, and in my degree I enjoyed the modules that involved computers.
- How did you come across Makers Academy and what made you decide to apply to the programming course?
I came across Makers Academy a year before I actually applied, but back then I thought it wasn't for me and I couldn't hack it. But when I came across it again I just decided to go for it, and figure it out as I went along.
- What did you find difficult during the course?
Being comfortable with not knowing everything was hard, but it led me to work harder.
- What happened during/after graduation and where are you job-wise?
So after graduation I spent more than a month working on my code until Will and Ruben encouraged me to start applying for jobs. That is what I found the most scary, that I loved to code but I didn't know where I fit in. I then worked as an Alumni helper while applying to jobs and I did a couple of tech tests, but my first interview was with Deloitte Digital where I landed a job.
- How has your life changed since graduation?
My life now revolves around coding! I'm looking forward to starting my career.
- What would you say to people who say £8,000 is very expensive?
I was considering doing a masters in Computer Science but actually it's less time and money, and you learn more at Makers in short space of time. It's the best investment I ever made.
- What was your biggest worry before joining Makers Academy and how do you feel about it now?
It felt like a risk. I really enjoyed coding and I never coded full time so I had no idea if I could make a career out of it. I was also worried that not having industry experience would hold me back even more.
- Sum up your Makers Academy experience
- What advice would you give to people interviewing for developer roles?
Prepare as much as possible and try and relax. In hindsight I would have started to apply for jobs earlier.