- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
I was working as an account executive at a medical communication agency.
- What made you want to start learning to code in the first place?
I got envious of the developers I worked with and decided I wanted to learn to code and have a fun job.
- How did you come across Makers Academy and what made you decide to apply?
I googled computer science degrees to begin with and Makers Academy came up which introduced me to coding bootcamps. I read a couple of testimonials and spoke to alumni which lead me to take the plunge.
- What happened during/after graduation and where are you job-wise?
I went travelling for 2 months after the course and once I was back I started to work on my pet projects. While continuing to learn I started to look for a job and got one at QA Works.
- What did you find difficult during the course?
What I found difficult was having the mental resilience to persevere through the course. There was even a point where I actually wanted to quit because I started to question if I was up for it.
- How has your life changed since graduation?
I'm a much happier, confident person!
- What advice would you give to people thinking of changing career?
I don't want to sound cliché but just do it!
- What do you say to people who say £8000 is expensive?
It's cheaper than a university degree and it's 3 months of your life. The £8000 gives you a different career and can make you happier and confident. It's a short price to pay.
- What as your biggest worry before joining Makers Academy and how do you feel about it now?
My biggest fear was being out of my depth which persisted well into the second week. I'm glad I went through that struggle because now I can feel like I can overcome future problems and it's built up my resilience.
- Sum up your Makers Academy experience
Best 3 months ever!