- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
I was working in children's book publishing and I'm an author.
- What made you want to start learning to code in the first place?
I hand-coded HTML websites in high school, then left it behind for 10 years. Took two week-long courses and was addicted.
- What did you find difficult during the course?
The emotional ups and downs and having confidence.
- What happened during/after graduation and where are you job-wise?
I spent 2 months trying to find jobs on my own. I made a lot of connections, but no one wanted a newbie. Then, I came to the Careers Fair and got a job at Exceedra, through Makers Academy.
- How has your life changed since graduation?
I have so much more confidence in myself now. I really really can do anything I set my mind to.
- What advice would you give to people thinking of changing career?
- What was your biggest worry before joining Makers Academy and how do you feel about it now?
I wasn't really worried before joining Makers. I thought I'd ace it. The worries came after the first week and I couldn't make my code work. But now I know I can just step through it, read a lot, ask good questions, and it will work eventually.
- Sum up your Makers Academy experience
A total emotional rollercoaster with great people on the ride with me!