- What were you doing before joining Makers Academy?
I was a front end developer at an agency called Nice and Serious
- How did you come across Makers Academy and what made you decide to apply?
I knew two people who did the Makers Academy course. One person was just a week a week in and the excitement on her face made me research further. Then I discovered it was perfect for me because although I could do some coding, I always felt that I was always googling things and I wanted to learn to code properly and fill the gaps.
- What did you find difficult on the course?
One of the hardest things was pairing. I came from an environment where everyone coded individually. The pair programming at Makers Academy really helped as not only do you get to learn from others on how to code well but you get to practice what you know by teaching others too!
- What was your end of cohort project?
We created a SmartMirror - which was an internet of things mirror.
- What advice would you give to people thinking of changing career?
Try to code a little bit at first and if you like it and don't mind sitting in front of a computer all day then do it!
- What do you say to people who say £8000 is expensive?
I don't think it's expensive as I was already coding but by doing the course I've effectively got a 50% pay rise so I'll make the money back quickly.
- What was your biggest fear before joining MA and how do you feel about it now?
My biggest fear was quitting my safe, paid job. It was a bit of a risk. My fear was not being able to find a job afterwards but I don't regret it. As sad as I was to leave, i feel like I've made a big career improvement and a career jump.
- Sum up your Makers Academy experience
Makers Academy has given me a lot of confidence.